[GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism

From: hellekin
Subject: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 03:39:17 -0300

= GNU/consensus Whistle =

Volume I, Number 0
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/GNU/consensus/whistle/012013-07

(the wiki version displays an image of rms and Assange showing a
parody of Obama's Yes We Can campaign, showing Edward Snowden's face)

== Editorial: Looking Through The Prism ==

Edward Snowden achieved in a few weeks what we could not do in the
last two decades.  Thanks to his exposure of the massive surveillance
program of the NSA, Prism, he brought to the mainstream the topic of
''privacy''.  He demonstrated the need for it, and the need for
decentralization.  He turned decades of accusations of police state
and loss of freedom, that were until now ignored by the general
public, or deemed paranoid, into visionary statements.  The Prism
scandal, exposed, gives us free software developers and activists, an
unprecedented opportunity to leverage mass consciousness and
collective intelligence to break free from the social network services
oligarchy, to build a truly end-to-end and participatory (voluntary)
social environment.

But that won't go without a hitch. In this first issue of the
GNU/consensus Whistle, we'll see how a momentum is being formed that
we need to seize for ''binding chaos''[0] and overcome the current
trust crisis altogether, for the benefit of all people.

This issue will feature some less known software projects that may be
of interest to developers.  Finally, the Whistle will provide a short
agenda of things past and to come, for which you're welcome as a
project or community manager to submit either to the list or to the
wiki for inclusion in the next issue.

It's also time that we think about organizing a common fund, or a
shared funding strategy to cover development and hosting expenses of
free software social networking. Each network, each software project
should evaluate and report its real costs and needs, so that we can
estimate what it takes to reach a decent independent social
networking. Lack of finance has long been hindering the development of
sustainable alternatives to centralized commercial platforms. Maybe
it's time to reconsider that central issue, in the wake of the massive
spread of consciousness relative to the Prism leak. From there, I'm
convinced there's an opportunity for a globalized solidary economy for
independent social networking, and economies of scale. Think
FreedomBox, Guifi.net...

- ---- hellekin (GNU/consensus maintainer) <address@hidden>