cplay-dev

Re: [cplay-dev] Revival for real, seeking previous work

From: Tomi Pieviläinen
Subject: Re: [cplay-dev] Revival for real, seeking previous work
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:32:10 +0200

Seems like there are significant problems in writing to the mailing
list. Ulf's mail hasn't appeared there, neither has this Tom's. Also
Daniel Michalik has reported of bounces. I have changed the settings
on the list so that no mail is rejected without notifying the
administrator, but I still don't get anything and the moderation queue
is empty. If this is not resolved soon, we have to consider changing
the mailing list location.

Sorry for the verbose quoting, but I wanted others to see the full
email too.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 08:06:31AM -0500, Tom Adams wrote:
> I haven't used cplay for a year or two now, so I have no new code to
> contribute.
>
> As for future work - I think there was some mplayer support in my
> github repository, it would support a lot more formats and it can play
> things directly from the URL.

Also mplayer seems like the only choice for seeking in flacs. ogg123
refuses to seek pure flacs and oggflacs, and I'm unaware of other cli
players.

It's unfortunate, as mplayer's install size is huge compared to plain
audio players. But at least with that we get a huge number of
supported file types.

> In fact, I just remembered a really cool thing I did with cplay:
> - I'd set up an HTTP server on another computer with my music on it
> - then I'd use lynx to browse to a song and press a button configured
> to run "cnq [url]" (included in my cplay repo)
> - then the song's URL would be enqueued in cplay locally

Seems nifty.

> That made me happy, because save using NFS or samba shares I couldn't
> find any software that would let me play music remotely like that.

I personally use sshfs to play music from my home server wherever I
am.

> > I have also mailed Ulf and asked for permission to adopt the project.
> > If he doesn't answer next week, I'll call him (living in the same
> > country tracking him down shouldn't be too hard, google finds his
> > linkedin page that lists his current employer).
>
> I emailed Ulf some time ago to reconstruct cplay's history. I don't
> know if you noticed this on my github, but the tarballs he sent me of
> the CVS tree and releases are here:
> https://github.com/holizz/cplay_git_transition/tree/master/src

I actually hadn't, but I got the same data (plus other files) from
Ulf. I now have the latest translations etc.

> > Another parallel task is to find out all the work that has been done
> > on cplay since Ulf stopped releasing. This is the main reason I'm
> > posting here. I can find three projects on github, two of them based
> > on the first done by Tom Adam's (holizz). I've figured out his dplay
> > project was superseded by the cplay project, but I'll also send him a
> > message via github in case he isn't following this list anymore.
>
> dplay was just because I had so many patches to cplay I needed to put
> it in a git repo for sanity. Then the cplay repository was an attempt
> to get as much history as possible into git, followed by some of the
> changes I had made in dplay.

Does the dplay repo still have something good that's missing from
cplay? I noticed there's something related to ALSA, but is it ready
for checkin or an abandoned attempt?

> > His revision history work is also exemplary.
>
> Thank you. I put a lot of effort into that.
>
> Well, I'm glad cplay might finally get a 1.50 release a mere 5 years
> after pre7. I may or may not contribute to this latest reboot, but
> I'll follow your progress.

Your work saves a lot of mine, so no sweat. And I don't have any
doubts that people reading the list must be thinking "Yet another
newcomer? He'll get bored in a week" ;). But there's plenty of patches
for another release or two, so it's not a problem at all.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, +358 400 487 504