ddd

DDD-3.3.8 on HPUX-11.x

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: DDD-3.3.8 on HPUX-11.x
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:32:18 +0200

Tom Wurgler wrote:
I did get 3.3.7 from thewrittenword.com, thanks for the tip....

for 3.3.8 (or 3.3.7 from source):

I have tried every combination of libraries and includes files I can think
of, both with gcc 3.2.3 and gcc-3.3.2 and the hp optional ansi c compiler, but
I can't get it to compile.

This computer has /usr/include /opt/aCC/include /opt/aCC/include_std and
corresponding lib dirs.

I've written a "myconfigure" script and commented and uncommented etc for the
various combinations.  Would you be able to look at this and maybe point out
what I might be doing wrong?  BTW, I see in the "about" on thewrittenword.com's
executable that they used aCC...

Thanks for any help...

Hi Tom,

I've finally (!) got an HPUX 11.11 machine of my own (an old 715/100
I found in the trash).

I've managed to build DDD with only two tweaks:

1. I had to link statically with Motif, not dynamically.
2. I had to tell configure where the Athena libraries and headers are
(the same as is required for HPUX-10.20, as described in the PROBLEMS
   file).

The fix to the first problem has already gone into CVS.
I'm planning to fix the second one too before 3.3.9 is released.

Then DDD should build "out of the box" on HPUX 11.11.  I presume that
11.00 is "close enough" for the same fixes to just work.

My setup is as follows:
- HPUX 11.11 (a.k.a. 11i), December 2003 patch bundle.
- binutils-2.14
- gcc-3.3.2

I downloaded pre-built binaries of these, and then used them to rebuild
themselves.  That way, any HPUX headers which may have been updated by
HP's patch bundle will be used by my new GCC.  (Call me paranoid...)

I don't have HP's C or C++ compilers, since they're not cheap, and
gcc is just as good or better.

So all I can say is "it worked for me".
Andrew.