ddd

Re: DDD-3.3.8 on HPUX-11.x

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: DDD-3.3.8 on HPUX-11.x
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:04:05 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: Re: DDD-3.3.8 on HPUX-11.x, Tom Wurgler said (at 9:20am on...:

>Thanks for the tips, Tim but....:(
>
>I have binutils-2.14 installed.  *After* installing the binutils, I rebuilt
>gcc-3.3.2 (using the gcc-3.3.2 I had installed before adding binutils).  I
>also have HP's optional compiler installed so I renamed the system's "ar"
>and "as" so as to be sure they weren't being used.

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it might cause you other problems.
I would move them back the way they were.

>  I am using GNU Make
>3.80.

If you run

        gcc -v

what does it output?

If you can find someone that has the same version of gcc on the same
version of HP-UX as you, and they have theirs configured to use GAS,
you may not even need to reconfigure your gcc -- it's (I think) possible
to make the toolchain use gas just by modifing the gcc specs file, but
I've never tried to do this.  You would need to carefully example the
`asm' related lines in a correct gcc specs file (see the file it mentions
when you run it with -v, or try

        gcc -dumpspecs

to dump what the specs file is it's using).

It would honestly be easier to recompile gcc with gas support, though.

Or just download gcc and binutils from the HP-UX Porting and Archive
Centre, as Arnaud suggested in a later reply.

>checking bison -y version... bison (GNU Bison) 1.875
>Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.
>
>Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>(ok)

That version of bison is very very buggy, from what I've seen.  If you
try rebuild it, before you do a `make install', try

        make check

and see how many of its tests it fails.  My guess it will be a lot.  I
know for a fact that it has caused problems with certain grammars.  Using
bison 1.28 or 1.30 should work better.

>checking how to recognise dependant libraries... file_magic
>(s[0-9][0-9][0-9]|PA-RISC[0-9].[0-9]) shared library

This looks like a (probably minor) bug in libtool.  I would expect that
the output would be just

        file_magic

I haven't looked, but it looks like a sed gone awry.  It's almost
certainly not related to the problems you're encountering, though.

>checking command to parse /u/rdsnfs5/t901353/local/bin/nm -B output... failed

That's either a problem with libtool or it's a problem with the nm that
comes with binutils.  I don't think it would affect anything here, but it
might be important for other projects.

>checking X11/Xaw/Form.h presence... yes
>configure: WARNING: X11/Xaw/Form.h: present but cannot be compiled
>configure: WARNING: X11/Xaw/Form.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
>configure: WARNING: X11/Xaw/Form.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
>checking for X11/Xaw/Form.h... yes

This happens on other platforms too with configure generated from recent
autoconf.  It's not a serious problem.  Same from X11/Xaw/Panner.h and
X11/Xaw/Porthole.h.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden