ddd

Re: About porting to Qt.

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: About porting to Qt.
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 20:12:25 +0100

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 20:05 +0200, jose maria gomez wrote:
> Peter, you cant imagine how happy I have became reading your email. First of
> all, I would like to clear that I though that DDD project was died becuase
> DDD was looking for a new maintainer since 2008/03/03. However it seems that
> you were working on it, and not only that, but also you have done a very good
> work.
> I was thinking about to decouple it as well, but it seems you have done it
> already.
> My idea was to put Qt over it, but as you can say we could have the same core
> with different GUIs. We could work together.

Thank you, that is what I was hoping for.

> I dont know anything about gtkmm so I cant not help you a lot with this, but
> we could work together in the Core and doing some GUI hacking for ourselves
> (Qt and Qtkmm)
>
> I am going to read and read your email again to go into details but I wanted
> to write this proposal to you as soon as possible.
>
> I fell very happy with your so important contribution.

(blushes)

> One othe question, why havent you applied to be the official maintainer if
> you
> were working on it already?

Well, my contribution so far has been intermittent.  I first proposed
the GTK port almost 2 years ago, but it lapsed for want of time.
However, for the last several months I have been coding like mad.

In other words, I don't feel like taking up a position which requires
continuous attention.  I work on DDD when I feel like it (and have the
time), and other projects at other times.

I should clarify that my day job involves computational electromagnetics
modelling on a small Beowulf cluster, but I'm not paid to do programming
full time (let alone open source).  So I do it as and when...  I don't
think I will be able to touch DDD again until mid-May, but after that
I'll have another go.

Meantime, here's another screenshot. I just got the "GDB Settings"
dialog more or less working...

http://www.ceiriog.eclipse.co.uk/gddd-under-construction.png