Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 23:03:28 +0100

On 2016-12-07 23:00, John Sullivan wrote:
David Hedlund <address@hidden> writes:

Richard Stallman said this regarding 'Bait and surrender' at
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Antifeatures:

The name feels too harsh for the case where the free version is actually useful.

I think more change is needed.  Can the people in directory-discuss
please talk about how to deal with then category now called "Bait and
Surrender"?
In general, can we use more approachable / less aggressive language? The
FSD is intended (not exclusively, but significantly) to reach audiences
who are unfamiliar with free software. We need to be mindful of our
audience.

This doesn't mean we refrain from making our position clear -- but using
terms like "betrayal" "bait" "surrender" isn't necessary to make our
position clear.

Can we brainstorm other language?

-john

I'm on your side, and so is RMS. I didn't invent 'Bait and surrender" nor "Freedom betrayed". Please add suggestion to the Discussion page of

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Antifeatures