Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 21:39:10 +1100

Hi all,

I appreciate this question being brought up. While I see how certain labels are subjective as RMS pointed out, the FSF directory is linked to from free distributions; for our free distributions to continue to qualify as free, the FSF directory should not have any gateways to proprietary at all in any form whatsoever.

Would recommend to mirror any software which is gateway to proprietary, and make modifications necessary to remove the gateway link.

I notice that I had been writing about this here on this list for over three months and the action or reaction had been minimal. To help get things moving, I perhaps could ask the question of precisely how to do that -- maybe the GNU Savannah instance would be a good place to host such modified entries in the nongnu section of the site?

That mirroring is something anyone can help out with (myself included) at any point. Perhaps another obstacle is finding the list of entries whose codes or documentation need these modifications. Alas, that I have no idea about, short of manually going through all however many entries the FSF Directory has.

Svetlana