Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 21:11:23 -0200

Hi all! :)

I do agree with some points that you made in previous topics (notably
the one about IceCat add-ons list linking to pages at
addons.mozilla.org)

However, there's one observation I must make about the cases where
non-free software is cited by free software or inside documentations for
such:

As far as I remember (and please investigate this further, since it's
been a long time since I last read the Directory's requirements, the
texts at GNU.org, and the GNU FSDG itself): Although free/libre
distributions must remove dependencies, recommendations, or references
to non-free software wherever/whenever they exist (according to GNU
FSDG), the software projects themselves aren't obligated to do so in
order to be considered free/libre software.

These software cannot however **depend** on non-free ones, except for
some cases:
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/is-ever-good-use-nonfree-program.html>.

Notice that there's a difference between "depending" (which must be
followed) and "recommending" (which is optional).