Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compressing gnuradio data with flac

From: mgray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compressing gnuradio data with flac
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:19:05 -0700 (MST)

I tried the same program on a multi-carrier NB FM sample set.  The flac
compression was worse than bzip2

nws_nbfm_4_stations_256k_complex.dat

uncompressed:     52.8 MB
bzip2:            16.3 MB
flac compressed:  26.4 MB

My guess is the NTSC siganl contained data that appears much like music
data when using its polynomial/LPC routine.  So the compression worked
well.  Complex (I/Q) multi-carrier NB FM doesn't model so well.

What is interesting is that bzip2 does so well with an IF signal that
should appear mostly as white noise.  However, looking further at the raw
I/Q samples, much of the ADC dyanmic range is unused and the upper bits
are 0.  With stronger or wider bandwidth (i.e. NTSC), compress will
probably fall off.

Samples at: http://kd7lmo.net/ground_gnuradio_ota.html

Thanks though for pointing out flac.  Lossless audio compression is pretty
cool.  I tried it on some music .WAV files and it worked well.