[Discuss-gnuradio] Compressing gnuradio data with flac

From: James Smith
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compressing gnuradio data with flac
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:22:00 -0800 (PST)

A while back, I downloaded the
ntsc-short-complex-baseband-8MS.dat.bz2 sample to
experiment with.  Recently, I was wondering if bzip2
was the best compression to used, so I compressed the
sample (after bzip2 decompression) with flac.  I
specified a sample rate of 8 Khz since it would not
accept 8 Mhz.  I used the options: "--endian=little
--channels=2 --bps=16 --sample-rate=8000
--sign=signed" and left the compression level at the
default.  After decoding the file with the options
"-endian=little --sign=signed --force-raw-format", I
ran md5sum and comfirmed that the output was
identical.

Summary for ntsc-short-complex-baseband-8MS.dat:
uncompressed:     124 MB
bzip2 compressed:  66 MB (as downloaded)
flac compressed:   37 MB