Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Booting a new USRP

From: cfk
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Booting a new USRP
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:29:04 -0800

On Friday 04 February 2005 21:54, Matt Ettus wrote:
> > Should I create an entry in the wiki with this mini-list of what just
> > transpired for the next guy?
>
> That would be very helpful, thanks
>
> > Is there anything else I can do with what I have without the
> > usrp_fpga.rbf file?
>
> Its attached.

Thank you for the rbf file. It does not error when loading. Here are the steps
I have gone through. I am listing them here as preparation for getting these
and others to the wiki.

Steps to bring up a new usrp.

Step 1:
 Given a known gnuradio tarball installation such as 2.4, ensure that
usrp-0.6.tar.gz is expanded and compiled with the traditional "./configure",
"make" and "make install". This should produce a directory such as
"/usr/local/share/usrp/rev2" and in this directory should be the file
usrp_firmware.ihx". This is one of two files that the usrp loads when it
starts.

Step 2: Ensure the file usrp_fpga.rbf is in the
same /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2 directory.

Step 3:
 Given a known functional Linux system with USB support, open two different
terminals. Use one of these terminals and execute "tail
-f /var/log/messages". This will cause a real-time display of all log
messages.

Step 4:
 Plug the Power cord into the usrp and then the USB cable. On the terminal
running "tail -f /var/log/messages" should be a message of the form:

new full speed USB device using address 1

 Disconnect the USB cable and there should be a message of the form:

USB disconnect, address 1

 Plug it back in and leave it.

Step 5:
 Navigate to the directory ../usrp-0.6/host/apps and run the program
"./test_fusb". If the usrp is connected, the usrp_interface.ihx and
usrp_fpga.rbf files are in /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2, there should be no
error messages regarding this files.

 On the usrp are two LED's, LED0 is furthest away from the USB connector and
it should be blinking at a 2 Hz rate before test_fusb is invoked and a 1Hz
rate after test_fusb is invoked if the usrp_interface.ihx file loaded
successfully.

Step 6:
 The program "usrper" can be used to test an LED at this time. The command
"./usrper led1 on" and ./usrper led1 off" should produce a predictable
result.

 Refer to ../lib/usrp_prims.cc to see the source involved in loading this
firmware.
################################################################3

Thats as far as I can get so far. At this point, the test_fusb program
displays a message on the screen that goes:

usrp_open_interface:usb_claim_interface: failed interface 1
could not claim interface 1: No such file or directory

So, it looks like the control endpoint is working but the first data endpoint
is not quite there yet. Perhaps you might have a suggestion or two.

Additionally, in getting this little app note together, I would like to put
together a couple of screen prints in .PNG format for the wiki. The question
there is how do I get the pictures onto the wiki. Do I just link them from
one of my servers here for the time being (like
http://cfk/homelinux.com/gnuradio/pix/screen1.png"; )?

Charles Krinke

#./t