Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No better

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No better
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:41:12 -0800

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 05:47:05PM -0000, Robert McGwier wrote:

> All is well now with one exception, when I
> attempt to do things in the "how to do your own module"
> I get an error message about the howto module not found
> even though I can find howto.py and .pyc in the directory.
> I attempted to modify load library path to no avail.
>
> Bob

I'm not sure if this is still an outstanding question, but here goes...

The qa_*.py routines are written such that they expect to be run from
within the build tree with the PYTHONPATH suitably munged.
The easiest way to fulfill this requirement is to use either
"make check" or ./run_tests

All of the other stuff is written assuming that everything has
been installed.

These constraints arise from two desires:

(1) the desire to be able to run test code using non-installed
libraries and python code.

(2) the desire to have the "real" code import the modules using a path
that starts with gnuradio so that we keep python namespace pollution
to a minimum.

I'm open to other sugggestions about how to solve this problem.  There
are interactions with non-installed libtool libraries, import and
PYTHONPATH.

If you're trying to use the installed howto module, your code should
look like this:

  from gnuradio import gr
  from gnuradio import howto

If I didn't answer your question, please try again.

Eric