Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gri_ringbuffer.{h,cc}

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gri_ringbuffer.{h,cc}
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:47:01 -0500

No. The problem was caused by our own error. Under some pathological conditions you want to reset the ring buffers and start over. We talked ourselves into believing all off this was protected and we were just plain wrong. I made the initial error and Frank recaptured the error in beautiful code.

The final resolution: if you find pathologies in the ring buffers, the ONLY safe place to reset them is in the callback itself, otherwise the callback can /**AND WILL**/ step on the rb reset. You cannot afford to semaphore, etc. in the callback of course, so a safe way is to use flags that are only read and reset in the callback when the rb resets occur. There are subtle race conditions that might occur but they are minor irritants compared to the stupidity of what we were doing.

All of the strange conditions we had in DttSP were caused by this programming bug. They no longer exist in DttSP v.2 which will be out next week and they don't exist in PowerSDR now. We only looked for this subtlety for months. A few well constructed tests finally resolved the problem.

Bob