RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Embedded control of USRP

From: Jim Hanlon
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Embedded control of USRP
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:38:52 -0500

 I tried to get the USRP talking to an 800MHz VIA fanless industrial control
computer, with expansion card to get USB 2.0
performance. I found that gnuradio installed and ran OK, but USRP performance
consistently exhibited USB overruns and underruns, to
the point that our evaluation of USRP capabilities was limited by our compute
power.

I think its nice to be fanless, if you can. And maybe, some clever engineering
of USB interrupt service routines could improve i/o
performance. But  it is much simpler these days just to outrun the problem with
a faster CPU clock.

If you are trapped by form factor and "no fan" rules, you may be out of luck.
Does your architecture allow for (say, USB) expansion
cards ?  If so, you could build one that did block transfers to/from the USB
bus and your slowish CPU.
HTH
Jim Hanlon