Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS / TMC / DAB / DVB-S/T ?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS / TMC / DAB / DVB-S/T ?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 06:49:03 -0700

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 08:47:36AM +0200, Christian Felsing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to GNUradio, there are some questions regarding GNUradio:

> Does it support RDS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System),

Not currently, though definitely possible.  There was some code
written a while ago that started to demod RDS.  However, we have yet
to receive the appropriate copyright assignment from the authors and
are thus unable to use the code as a starting point.

If anyone else is working on this, or knows more, please speak up.

> TMC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel),

Once you've got RDS, this is straight forward.

> DAB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_broadcasting) or

Jens Elsner <address@hidden> was working on this, not sure of the
status.  The work-in-progress is not in the GNU Radio repository.

> DVB-S/T (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB) ?

> Is that USRP sufficient for broadband applications like DVB ?

The USRP could receive the raw signals for DVB-T in the 6 and 7 MHz wide
channel format.  The 8 MHz wide version could be somewhat degraded
because of filter rolloff at the edges of the passband of the digital
downconverter in the FPGA.  Shifting to 8-bit I&Q would allow the full
8 MHz wide signal to fit across the USB at the expense of dynamic range.

I'm not sure of the bandwidth required for DVB-S and thus can't comment.

Eric