Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCR-100 as a frontend ?

From: Jim Perkins
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCR-100 as a frontend ?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:30:59 -0500

I just bought one of these as well. Right now there is a guy on eBay selling a load of them (with no accessories) for $50 each plus $5 shipping. Here is the only mod info that I've found on the 10.7 MHz IF:

The buffered 10.7 MHz IF Output is available at the emitter of transistor of Q85. Q85 is located close to the edge of the large board, near J1. If you place the radio with the antenna connection to the left, Q85 is the first transistor to the right of the smaller IF filter at the top left hand corner of the RF board. This is directly above the metal can for one of the LO's. The emitter is the upper left terminal (if the radio is oriented as described above). There will be a DC level at this point, so will want a coupling capacitor.

address@hidden wrote:
[ My first post, new to radio ]
I saw on the list the suggestion that the PCR1-100 could make a good
frontend for the USRP. Well, what the heck, 75$ is not much. The radio
works just fine with its windows software, and I can get basic control
of it via hamlib. I searched the net for PCR-100 hacking and found a
couple of links. The first is to get the discriminator output at pin8 of
IC 10. No problem, and the second link refers to a DRM mixer. The photos
are unclear, but I assume it taps the 10.7Mhz IF. Does anyone have any
information on tapping the 10.7Mhz IF on this thing, or am I barking up
the wrong tree for using this as frontend to the usrp ?

Many thanks,
Simon Convey