Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compile failure of svn head with slightly old ins

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compile failure of svn head with slightly old install
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:20:49 -0800

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 05:27:45PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I updated and tried to build the head of svn recently after not having
> done so for several weeks.  The block code failed to build,
> complaining about several pmt_foo functions not being found.   I did a
> 'make -k install' from top level, and then it built fine.  So it seems
> that the build is linking against installed libs rather than in-tree
> libs.

The build tree should be linking against the build tree
(non-installed) libs.

> I'm of two minds here, becaues I think it's very important that we be
> able to build components by themselves against installed libraries.
> So, probabaly the build should use -L for the build tree and then also
> the installed path, in that order.

I understand your goal, but that's not how we're currently doing it.
If you've got a suggestion (and a patch) to handle this robustly both
ways, I'm willing to entertain it.

What I want to be sure that we can do is to run make check against the
non-installed libraries prior to installation.

Is NetBSD using a vanilla version of libtool, or a modified version?

At least under GNU/Linux the unmodified libtool does what I expect
(supports testing against non-installed libs), and relinks against the
install path as part of installation.  The Ubuntu folks have patched
libtool in a way that breaks the ability to test before installing.
Putting it mildly, I think they're out of their minds ;)

Eric