Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP packet parsing

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP packet parsing
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:52:30 -0400

On 3/21/07, Thibaud Hottelier <address@hidden> wrote:
How do the fpga know is data is interleaved or not ?

I believe all samples sent down is interleaved over USB to 16-bit I
followed by 16-bit Q samples.  These can be concatenated (since they
are of the same sample time) to 1 32-bit number to store within a
block ram within the FPGA.

Doing real-only transmissions could possibly be a status bit to say
what the data format is?

I am still worried about the number of fifo that will be used and their
size. The FPGA looks pretty full. Is there a way to have a memory
separated from the FPGA that I could access through a bus?

We'll be removing one of the RX channels I believe, which frees up a
multiplier and a whole boatload of memory.  Moreover, the Cyclone has
special hard memory blocks that are 4096 bits of dual-port memory.
That gives us 128 locations for complex sample storage in a single
block.  If more blocks are used (which are available), you just double
the number every time.

It's a lot of FIFOs, but if they are necessary then you have to use
them.  It's a trade off that you should be aware of, but is also
easily checked.  Download Quartus II from altera.com and compile the
design for the target FPGA.  Disable the other RX channel and
re-compile to see the change in resources.

What do you think?

Thibaud

Brian