Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Losing data during long collects

From: Chris Stankevitz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Losing data during long collects
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:56:08 -0700

Eric Blossom wrote:
If you're running Linux and writing to an ext3 filesystem,  try
remounting it as an ext2 filesystem.  I've seen problems in the past
when the ext3 filesytem posts its journal, however they showed up as
overruns -- the filesystem wasn't keeping up.

Eric,

I used to have this problem when I was using ext3 on a slow hard drive. The problem manifested itself as a buffer overrun. Today I use ext2, have a 4 disk RAID0 that can handle 40MB/s sustained, and I get no overruns.

> Bug in your code?  Are you double buffering or something?  Are you
> properly handling locking between the producer and consumer?

My code is pretty simple, so naturally (of course) I don't think it is buggy. I am double buffering. I will start recording with cfile and see if the problem goes away. I could also try a lower sampling rate.

Thanks,

Chris