Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio mention in DEFCON subway presentation

From: Eric Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio mention in DEFCON subway presentation
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:05:00 -0400 (EDT)

----- Start Original Message -----
Sent: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:12:43 -0700
From: Dan Halperin <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

> On Aug 11, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Philip Balister wrote:
> >> New appication for USRP+GNU radio, free subway rides :)
> >>
> >> http://www-tech.mit.edu/V128/N30/subway/Defcon_Presentation.pdf
> >>
> >> Well, at least until people learn to deploy secure systems.
> >
> > There's also..
> > http://venturebeat.com/2008/08/08/defcon-excuse-me-while-i-turn-off-your-pacemaker/
> >
> > A bit more scary :(
>

> Please please please don't be scared by this. Yet :). We believe that
> the risk to patients with today's technology is basically nil. Our
> attacks took tens of seconds to minutes and required very close range.
>  From there it's much easier just to punch you.
>
> The sentence that the article misquotes was closer to "With today's
> hardware, these attacks are mostly academic. We need to develop
> effective security solutions now before these types of attacks become
> easier to mount."
>
> If I needed a pacemaker/cardiac defibrillator, I would get one without
> hesitation -- including the model we investigated.
>
> - -Dan

----- End Original Message -----
Hello,

Yet another interesting application for the USRP and GNURadio.

Yeah the victim has to have the same model of pacemaker/cardiac defibrillator
and not notice the guy next to him with all this radio/computer equipment.  I
have heard the same concern about bad people using the ADS-B position for
targeting aircraft.  It is possible, like turning off the pacemaker, but there
are simpler and easier methods similar to just punching the person.

I heard that some Remote Keyless Entry Systems have been compromised as well.
I heard stories of Mercedes-Benz owners sitting in a coffee shop in Europe next
to a guy with a laptop and when they leave their car is gone.  This is due to
the feature that the key only has to be in the person's pocket to unlock and
start the car.  So the security of having to use a real physical key in a lock
is gone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyless_Go

73 Eric