Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted playback of real-time audio on Linux

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted playback of real-time audio on Linux
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:39:55 +0200

On 13 August 2010 01:02, Elvis Dowson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>      Another data point, if I set the audio sink sample rate to 16kHz, there
> are no under-runs, but that obviously will cause the sound to play back at a
> lower pitch, but atleast there are no crackles and distortions. In the
> console output window, there are no audio underruns.
>
> When you set the audio sink sample rate to any value higher than 16kHz, it
> starts to distort and crackle.
>
> What can be inferred from all this?

Maybe it is a driver issue. I suppose your iMac is the latest
generation (late 2009?) but the distributed alsa drivers are usually
older.
You can check how the hardware is detected in the hardware tab of the
audio settings or "lspci | grep Audio" and see how it fits with what's
actually in the computer.
You can also try to install linux-backports-modules-alsa and see if
that provides better driver.

ALex