Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1 Inband firmware questions

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1 Inband firmware questions
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:43:05 -0700

> I managed to fix it (well, I think I did at least :)
>
> But the generated code, altough meeting fmax constraint, has some
> setup/hold violation.
>
> Looking at the path, it seems there are latches (and not register) and
> combinatorial signal being used as clocks ... which is frightening for
> FPGA code.
>
>> I'm not going to have the time this week, but I'll see if I can get the
>> most recent version (very few changes) available via git somewhere.
>
> That'd be great.

Hi Sylvain,

Myself and another student were the main contributors of the inband
code, with much help from Eric, Matt, and Brian.  We did a lot of
testing of the code, but the only main bug we had found was that the
timestamp on the RX side would occasionally jump.  This was something
that I could never figure out (I'm not much of an FPGA coder), that
Eric S. finally chimed in and seemed to have fixed.  We used the code
for various TDMA and CSMA MAC protocols and it seemed stable.  The
main thing, IMO, keeping it out of the main codebase was that the
inband code relied on a bunch of GNU Radio primitives that were
eventually deprecated.  The FPGA code itself though, is independent of
this.

It would be great to get Eric S's code merged in to git somewhere
which fixes the timestamp jump and then move the code in to a
mainstream location.

- George