Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSB/CW/FM tranceiver

From: Markus Heller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSB/CW/FM tranceiver
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 11:15:31 +0100

Hi,

I see quite a lot of activity. Last FOSDEM brought me the insight that
about 70% of all participants in the GNURadio section hold a callsign.

When I asked the audience who had a callsign, I also initially expected
just a couple of hands up, but the result was overwhelming.

I guess the issue is something different:

a) It's a completely new field of technology, so many people still try
to understand apparently quite simple things. - But which are not so
simple for somebody without a solid knowledge of computer science PLUS
mathematics. I have studied computer science, but I have never been
taught about complex numbers. And I still have my problems to explain
how a FIR filter *really* works.

b) Many active GNURadio developers don't have the intention to build a
radio. Instead they want to investigate aspects of radio applications,
such as measuring the energy within an entire spectrum (as one of the
recent threads) or they want to create a crosscorrelation block and
identify the delay between two different signals etc.

c) I generally see a tendency of tinkering getting ever stronger as
opposed to operating. If you really want to operate, it's much cheaper
to just buy a rig from Ebay for 150 Euro and you're well prepared. If
you translate manhours into money, it becomes clear where the investment
goes. One side-aspect is also that you can perfectly do your experiments
in big cities (like for me in Munich), but I don't have any possibility
to set up an antenna. But I can start my computer, plug in my USRP2 and
start to create code. For my station I must travel 150km...

In my talk in Brussels most of the audience agreed with me that GNURadio
is fantastic, but it's even more fun if you are allowed to release the
HF to the open and really create worldwide (or even extraterrestrial)
applications. This is the reason why also in the future there will be
many GNURadio developers who will consider to get a license - even
though they may not be visible at first.

Best73
markus
dl8rds, 4l9mh