Re: Version-adaptive_documentation

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Version-adaptive_documentation
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:36:39 +0100

Hi Adrian, Hi Barry,

On 20.12.22 17:13, Adrian Musceac wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2022 16:40:46 EET Barry Duggan wrote:
I have created a plan to make certain pages of our Wiki be adaptive to the
user's GNU Radio version (or desired version) so that sections which don't
apply would be hidden. This makes cleaner page presentations and reduces
the clutter of unrelated information.

This proposed change will have the following effects:

- Usability is greatly reduced if using web clients which don't support
Javascript (yes some people still use clients like links and w3m from the
terminal)

Not doing this greatly reduces usability for that vast majority of people that don't use a console browser to browse documentation for a GUI tool. I'll claim this tradeoff isn't that hard to justify.

Also, I just checked the Message Debug site in links. Perfectly readable. Not quite sure what you did to your links!

- On some user setups Javascript is disallowed for security reasons so content
will no longer be accessible

That is not true. I just tried. With JavaScript turned off, you just get everything. I've attached a "no Javascript" screenshot.

- Breaks content indexing for some search engines

You claim that based on what? I don't see how that is true.

The general trend of making web pages heavily dependent on Javascript

It's an *optional* script that can be used to select what's visible, if scripting is available. If not available, you get a nicely structured plain text site, as before.

and thus unusable for some of us is frankly sad

Ok, not my style to be *this* direct, but since you're actively trying to
guilt-trip Barry:

You're exposed to a website that works perfectly, contrary to your claims, both in obsolete browsers and under disabling JavaScript. It's just *better* with. I honestly don't think you get to lament your "loss" here.

and I would not have expected to see this happen in a GNU project wiki.

Mediawiki has extensive JavaScript. Since decades.

Please don't break the documentation in this way.

I'll leave this here as an offer for reflection:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dilbert_characters#Mordac

Best regards,
Marcus