Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager

From: ]d
Subject: Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:56:04 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

> I did never complain about anything related to WM (initially I was
always referring to blackbox, for example), at least this was never my

I see, I thought you think we are slow and use a lot of mem print.
Thus, I don't think blackbox is slow and use a lot of mem print.

> Remember, in the dock info panel (of WM) it says: GNUstep is part of
the GNUstep project (or some similar line). For me, this means more than
just some --blabla options which allow disabling some features, for me
this implies an ObjC interface which can be used by other GS apps to
control the behaviour of the window manager, perfect interaction between
GS and the window manager (icon management, focus handling, ...) and so
forth.

GNUstep should at least made its own API to communicate with window
managers in X protocal. (Sorry but refering to WMaker as WM make me a lot
of confusion) And if GNUstep did provide that, application then should use
it to communicate with window managers. I don't see why you think Obj-C
interface will help you to run among existings window managers.
GNUstep still has to implement messaging base on X model anyway to
communicate to other X window managers.

You don't think sawmill will provide such an Obj-C interface for GNUstep,
do you?

> Perhaps we all want the same anyway and this is all based on some
confusion... so I will be quiet now and go back to work.

agree :)

]d