Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:30:07 +0200

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:34:07 -0500
"Mondragon, Ian" <ian.mondragon@bankofamerica.com> wrote:

> i don't think anybody's aiming to make GNUstep "KDE-like". :-)
>
> that's like suggesting to make GNOME "KDE-like"...kinda rubs against the
> grain of the whole philosophy behind the project.
>
> - ian mondragon

I've given a look to the gnustep-gui libraries and I like very much the
programming environment that the libraries offers and Objective C too.
Neverthless I find unattractive to develop a GNUstep application because
of the *look* of the xgps backend. It is not a question of "where the menu
is" or "what the windows policy is"; it is just a question of *look*.

I think you should consider that the spreading of the GNUstep environment
among GNU/Linux users depends strongly from the look of the environment.
In fact the *main* reason because nowadays nobody uses the Xaw toolkit is
the look of the widgets.

I would like *very much* to have something like a GTK+ backend and I
wonder how much difficult would be to make it.
--
Francesco Abbate
E-mail: france.abbate@tiscalinet.it | france77@users.sourceforge.net