Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:55:07 +0200

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:34:23 +0100 (BST)
Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

> Let me help the discussion by just clarifying a bit the technical
details
> -
>
> the gnustep backend is providing basic graphical functions to the upper
> library - drawing a line or a point or an image or text or getting
> keyboard input or mouse events or mapping a window; it's job is similar
> to, say, GDK.
>
> the gui library is drawing the widgets using the graphical facilities
> provided by the backend.
>
> So - talking about a `gtk backend' does not make much sense: the code
> drawing the `widget' appearance is mostly in the gui library.  And it
> doesn't make any sense to attempt using gtk widgets inside gui views in
my
> opinion, because that breaks everything.

Thanks for the clarification.

> As far as I understand, what everyone here really wants is theme
support.

> About gtk looks, if the theme system is well designed, someone could
then
> be able to write a bundle which can use gtk themes to provide gnustep
> themes.

Yes and no.
Even a good graphics without support for themes could be ok.
:-)

P.S.
I'm agree with you that GTK's look is a bit ugly without any themes.
--
Francesco Abbate
E-mail: france.abbate@tiscalinet.it | france77@users.sourceforge.net