Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:29:12 +0200

Francesco Abbate wrote:

> I think you should consider that the spreading of the GNUstep environment
> among GNU/Linux users depends strongly from the look of the environment.
> In fact the *main* reason because nowadays nobody uses the Xaw toolkit is
> the look of the widgets.
>
> I would like *very much* to have something like a GTK+ backend and I
> wonder how much difficult would be to make it.

I can let you all in on a little secret.  For the last month or so I have
worked on a "new" GUI for Mach-based operating systems (right now it only
works on GNU/Hurd).  It will be very much similar to Apple's Quartz - I'm also
thinking about clone the CoreGraphics API.

The goal is to create something that looks and feels like Aqua.  If this
mean that I will "port" (create) a GNUStep-backend I really don't know yet.

regards,
johan