Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:32:55 +0200

>I've rearranged the format of the display a little so it's more
intuitive.

>http://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/
>
>always has the immediate changes, so you might try that if a mirror
>isn't updated yet.
>
>The last MAJOR change I'm debating is the Developer domain. It would be
>nice to have all the developer stuff in one location. The drawback is
>that we are separating things, like Libraries and Headers, which really
>should be together.

Maybe Mac OS X can act here as the role model...

Under Mac OS X there is a directory "Developer/" in the root level. It is
there only optionally, that is if you have installed the developer tools.

It contains the following subdirectories:

Applications/ - all the developer applications (like Projekt Builder or
Interface Builder) reside here
Documentation/ - as its name says
Examples/ - some Examples
Headers/ - ONLY carbon stuff is here, the other headers reside in their
frameworks, for instance Foundation.h is in
 /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Headers
Java/ - some Java support stuff like Headers/ and Jobs/ (don't what this
is, maybe some double identity of HIM ;-))
Makefiles/ - makefiles stuff and resources
Palettes/ - IB palettes
PBBundles/ - obviously some Project Builder specific stuff
ProjectBuilder Extras/ - templates and plug ins
ProjektTypes/ - projekt templates
Tools/ - some tools which are not in /usr/bin/ (gcc and gdb for instance
are in /usr/bin/)

>--
>Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
>http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you
>                                       | know how I hate the stuff.

greetings, Lars (who had (among other things) spinach for lunch ;-))