Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib le?)

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib le?)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:49:27 -0700

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:19:50 +0100
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday, September 23, 2002, at 07:14 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> wrote:
> > On Monday, September 23, 2002, at 06:06 PM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> >> Ok, I take that back - I'd rather see URL handling *WORK* than
> >having> something superfluous like themes.
> > What's wrong with URL handling?
> Where there are bugs, we need good bug reports.
> Better still, bug reports with testcases for the testsuite.
> Ideally ... fixes too.

[...cut here...]

- (BOOL) checkURL
{
  NSURL *currentURL;
  NSData *data;

  currentURL = [NSURL URLWithString:
                      @"http:/www.foobar.org/PageWithAValid.plist"];
  data = [currenURL resourceDataUsingCache: NO];

  if( data )
    return YES;
  return NO;
}

[...cut here...]

This simple snipped will give you a nice clean core dump, at least on my
machine. AFAICT, the culprit is in NSURL's -URLHandleUsingCache:

[...cut here...]

- (NSURLHandle*) URLHandleUsingCache: (BOOL)shouldUseCache
{
  NSURLHandle   *handle = nil;

  if (shouldUseCache)
    {
      handle = [NSURLHandle cachedHandleForURL: self];
    }
  if (handle == nil)
    {
      Class     c = [NSURLHandle URLHandleClassForURL: self];

      if (c != 0)
        {
          handle = [[c alloc] initWithURL: self cached: shouldUseCache];
          AUTORELEASE(handle);
        }
    }
  return handle;
}

[...cut here...]

BOTH,
  [NSURLHandle cachedHandleForURL: self];
and
   c = [NSURLHandle URLHandleClassForURL: self];

will dump core (a SIGSEGV, IIRC) upon being called.
Neither -cachedHandleForURL: nor -URLHandleClassForURL: are actually
entered.
I'm not sure what the problem is, as adding an

  NSLog(@"-> %@", [self absoluteURL])

does print the corrent URL.

--
Chris