Re: Newbie Gorm Question

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Newbie Gorm Question
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:25:21 +0100

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 07:14:27AM -0800, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> --- Wim Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> > The "Add Outlet/Action" only works when you have selected
> > the outlet/action symbol next to your custom class.
> >
> > I have to say that this is highly non-intuitive.
>
> This is very much how InterfaceBuilder functions under OPENSTEP 4.2.  Mac OS X
> functions a little differently.   The only option is to create two seperate
> menu item and have them add an outlet or an action respectively.   The problem
> then becomes that you still need to name the outlet/action.

Well, even if it works like this in IB on OS4.2 I still
find it non-intuitive :-).

I think it would be better to have two menu items.
When you click on one you see, or should see the
action/outlet appear and the focus should be on
the newly created `thing'.

Also, I think that a Class inspector, where you
can create delete outlets/actions would
also be a nice addition.  I feel it is more in line
with the philosophy of Gorm.  You create something,
select something, and can view/edit the object in
the Inspector.

But well, were is time when you need it :-(.

> There is an excellent tutorial at:
> http://www.people.virginia.edu/~yc2w/GNUstep/Tutorial/

I will take a look at it.

Wim Oudshoorn.