Re: Newbie Gorm Question

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Newbie Gorm Question
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:26:11 +0000

On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 03:25  pm, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 07:14:27AM -0800, Gregory Casamento wrote:
--- Wim Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl> wrote:

The "Add Outlet/Action" only works when you have selected
the outlet/action symbol next to your custom class.

I have to say that this is highly non-intuitive.

This is very much how InterfaceBuilder functions under OPENSTEP 4.2. Mac OS X functions a little differently. The only option is to create two seperate menu item and have them add an outlet or an action respectively. The problem
then becomes that you still need to name the outlet/action.

Well, even if it works like this in IB on OS4.2 I still
find it non-intuitive :-).

I agree.

I think it would be better to have two menu items.
When you click on one you see, or should see the
action/outlet appear and the focus should be on
the newly created `thing'.

Also, I think that a Class inspector, where you
can create delete outlets/actions would
also be a nice addition.  I feel it is more in line
with the philosophy of Gorm.  You create something,
select something, and can view/edit the object in
the Inspector.

That's the way it used to work in Gorm ... and it was indeed (IMO)
much easier to use.  If I ever get time I'll re-implement it
(it might be possible to recover the old code from CVS
and use it as the basis for a new implementation).

NeXTstep used to work that way also, and now Apple has
reverted to something more like that after trying the OS4.2
way.