Re: Newbie Gorm Question

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Newbie Gorm Question
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:37:33 -0800 (PST)

--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
[snip...]

> > Also, I think that a Class inspector, where you
> > can create delete outlets/actions would
> > also be a nice addition.  I feel it is more in line
> > with the philosophy of Gorm.  You create something,
> > select something, and can view/edit the object in
> > the Inspector.
>
> That's the way it used to work in Gorm ... and it was indeed (IMO)
> much easier to use.  If I ever get time I'll re-implement it
> (it might be possible to recover the old code from CVS
> and use it as the basis for a new implementation).

The old implmentation had a myriad of issues.  One of which was that it rarely,
if ever, worked.   There was a problem with "reparenting" since you could
effectively change the superclass of an object *after* it had been instantiated
(something of a really huge NO-NO, IMNSHO).   Also the reparenting feature
would get caught in a recursive loop and would fill the screen with a huge
pulldown.

The current implementation *works*.  Period.

> NeXTstep used to work that way also, and now Apple has
> reverted to something more like that after trying the OS4.2
> way.

I, personally, believe it to be more intuitive since the user has all of the
information right there in front of them.   You know which class is being
edited you know it's parent and you can see it in the hierarchy related to
other classes.

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento