Re: Newbie Gorm Question

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Newbie Gorm Question
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 17:09:31 +0000

On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 04:32  pm, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

While the current outline view based interface in Gorm is nice for viewing a class, the inspector is much better for adding/editing actions/outlets ... so my ideal would be to have both ... ie restore the inspector but don't throw away
the outline view.

Actually, I'm not sure that the above is honest ... perhaps I was just trying to be polite about the current class stuff ... I don't like to be negative about things
which have obviously taken quite a bit of work.

I just compared the classes outline view (OS4.2 like) in Gorm with the pictures and instructions for managing classes in my old NeXTstep manual, and In fact the old-style (similar to the latest MacOS-X style) really looks better to me ... so dumping the current system for editing classes entirely might in fact be best.

The old NeXTstep style used a two-column browser to look at classes, with a search field and a pull-down menu to subclass/instantiate/parse/unparse a
class at the top of the browser.  This was very convenient.  Just adding
the search field and pulldown above the current outline view would have a similar effect, but would not be quite as easy to navigate as the browser was.