Re: Combined Framework(s) (was: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' qu

From: Tobias
Subject: Re: Combined Framework(s) (was: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' question)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:08:27 +0200

> Apart from that, and not really related...
>
> I've been browsing through a bunch of applications last weekend and
> noticed that there are quite a few that offer similar functions, each
> with some goodies not available in others.
>
> For example there are now quite a few CD/music/sound players available,
> but they all depend on different external libraries for sound.
> In addition, GNUstep's core/ already "requires" (ok, ok, not really a
> requirement) that libaudiofile is installed.
>
> I was wondering if there was a notion to create a combined framework for
> playing sound, music, whatever

i think about gstreamer every now and then, it is a nice and cleanly designed
media framework and gets new plugins every day.
integrating this in gnustep might be right, just to give us a common ground
with gnome and (maybe) kde for multimedia.

> (yes, I'm aware of SndKit, but AFAIK it
> only plays SND and AU and porting to GNUstep has just begun) that would
> offer a specified API and functionality and would make installation of
> twenty different sound libraries, one per application, obsolete.
> You know, something similar to 3DKit, but for sound/music.

yes, something like a devel-friendly quicktime (well just added video, just to
get gstreamer in ;) is really needed.
i think gstreamer might well be a foundation of this.

> Just wondering, as I don't know nothing about sound programming, but I
> hate to rely on external libraries, that may require a sluagh of
> additional dependencies...
remind me politely if i echo, but what about gstreamer.

three plugins for the audio codecs under the sky,
seven plugins for the movie codecs in their containers of stone,
nine plugins for the legacy ms/qt codecs doomed to die.
one framework for the community on their repository in the land of gnu/bsd
where the freedom lie.
one framework to rule them all,
one framework to control them,
one framework to bring them all and in the lightning bind them in the land of
gnu/bsd where the freedom lie

based loosely on jrr tolkin, lord of the rings.

hope, i didnt scared you all too much.
~ibotty