Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:41:09 +0100

> No, this is exactly my point, Pete. "Classic" users (as in someone that
> has no clue what's really going on behind the scenes) don't give a damn
> that GDL exists or even what it is, or what it does...all they care is
> that the *final* product does what they need it to...just as a true end

In which case I have no idea what point you were tying to make by saying
that you dont carse about such things. The implication appeared to be that
people working on the libraries are misdirecting effort when it should be
directed at apps - which I guess isnt what you meant, but I am not sure what
you did mean in that case ?

The thing is that there is no such thing as a "GNUstep user" really is there ?
The closest thing is someone using the AppKit and FoundationKit to
write programs, without looking "inside the box" at how it works. There
are a number of people who are using a few Apps that have been written
using the GNUstep kits, but they are users of the Apps, not users of
GNUstep - the GNustep "user" in that instance is the App developer.

Of course, everyone is all mixed up here on the same lists - the
developers of the Kits, the developers of the Apps on top of them, and also
a growing number of end-users of those Apps it would seem. Maybe thats where
some of this friction is comming from ? Especially as people fall into
than one catgegory a lot of the time ?

Wish people would argue a little less though - arent we all on the same side
really ?

-bat.