Re: [Marketing GNUstep] booklet

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: [Marketing GNUstep] booklet
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:42:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, MJ Ray wrote:

> The structure of the leaflet seems pretty good. On the text, I'd suggest:
> All: I think we say "object-orientated" in English English. Likewise
> frenchish "ise" instead of "ize" and similar;

<nickpick>

Google "object-orientated":  Results 1 - 100 of about    36,600
Google "object-oriented"  :  Results 1 - 100 of about 4,000,000
That's a ratio of about 1:100.

Hotbot "object-orientated":  Showing Results 1 - 10 /  13.486
Hotbot "object-oriented"  :  Showing Results 1 - 10 / 874.677
That's still a ratio of about 1:60.

I think it's safe to say that the term "object-orientated" is not widely used.

Even Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, dictionary.com, Webster and
other (online-)dictionaries don't have the term "object-orientated" in
their database, only the term "object-oriented".

The term "object-oriented" was 'invented' by Alan Kay (US citizen);
A quote from him:
  "I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you I didn't have
   C++ in mind" - Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97

<nickpick>

> p2: should read "GNUstep is based on, and completely compatible with, the
> OpenStep specification" (misplaced comma);
> p2: "modelling" (should have double l);

In "English English" only ;-P

Well, I really don't care about whether to spell things in "American English"
or "English English", but I personally prefer to stick to the spelling of
commonly used expressions like "object-oriented". Especially when it comes
to expressions related to computer science.

It just doesn't make sense to me when certain commonly used terms are
written in various APIs and manuals almost exclusively in one way, but
then seeing them spelt differently in some articles and leaflets.

So my advice/comment:
go ahead and change all "ise" to "ize", and "l" to "ll", but please
don't overdo it by changing certain 'invented' and commonly used expressions
into "English English" spelling.

Not that I have anything to say here, but that's just my 2 cents.

 Max