Re: Frameworks integration

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Frameworks integration
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:21:27 +0100

On 27.02.2004, at 18:35, Adam Fedor wrote:
The proposal is to put skyrix-xml and Tryst in the cvs (dev-libs), and possibly change their name to be more developer-friendly (ie a descriptive name followed by "kit" --
RendezvousKit or ServiceDiscoveryKit for Tryst for example).

To be put in CVS, they would need to change the license and assign the copyright to the FSF. I think Chris was open to this but I have a feeling Helge would not.

Correct. I don't see the point of copyright assignment to FSF and indeed this is AFAIK impossible in Germany (you cannot assign copyright to someone else).

On the other side all libraries of OGo are LGPL, so I really wonder whether a copyright assignment its absolutely necessary for GNUstep for self contained additions. Its certainly not required for producing free software.

We also have a somewhat weird situation with regards to gnustep-web. I think it was mainly started by Manuel because there was nothing available and the SKYRiX stuff wasn't yet available as GPL. Yet with OGo we now do have a high quality and proven WebObjects clone and gnustep-web is somewhat obsolete for practical purposes (no offense intended at all!) Not sure how we should proceed on this front.

best regards,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge