Re: Frameworks integration

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Frameworks integration
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:32:01 +0100

Le 28 févr. 04, à 21:58, Helge Hess a écrit :

On 28.02.2004, at 17:38, nicolas@roard.com wrote:

Yes... I think anyway that others projects could have the same dilemna. It could be perhaps better to create a "gnustep kits" project, non-gnu,
hosting all the kits.

As far as I know (and I think I once asked RMS) there is no requirement that a project called GNUxxx makes copyright assignments to FSF. This is encouraged, but the only thing necessary is GPL/LGPL license (in short: it must be free software).
Someone may correct me.

Yes, that's true, but because GPL compatible license must be used, there is a problem with some free licenses not GPL compatible like APSL (used in Tryst for example). This is why, I like the gnustep-kits idea... we wouldn't have such problems with it because it would be a non-gnu project.

It sure will be easier to host frameworks on it than
hosting them on main gnustep cvs and thus requiring for each a fsf copyright
assignment...

As long as the frameworks are self contained this should be no real issue.

But on the other side something like skyrix-xml could be just hosted in gnustep/contrib and otherwise be maintained at OGo. Just regular cross-project reuse.

I like this idea... would great in my opinion to have a sort of cvs mirror for skyrix-xml with the others frameworks.

Or (as long as you respect copyright), you could fork skyrix-xml into gnustep-xml and we could share patches to them. Might also make sense.

It's not necessary to take this path now, but later it can make sense.

yet it will provide us a single entry point for useful
frameworks. What do you think ? it sounds to me like a good compromise.
[anyway that would be additionally to the real important thing to do,
that is, display/advertise the available frameworks on the website
and provide releases...]

Sure. IMHO this is mostly a website thing. As long as the parts are free software, it should be no problem to advertise/document additional frameworks on the regular GNUstep site and provide downloads in the Contrib section. Not sure whether its really necessary to start something separate, like "GNUstep Kits".

Now, it's mostly a web site thing... but in the future when there will be many more default frameworks, it will be more than a simple web site problem : a central access point will be needed, in my opinion.

I like this idea of GNUstep kits because when I talk with non GNUstep aware developers (I had the same perception when I arrived one year ago ), a recurrent problem seems to be the exploded aspect of the project : there are no official frameworks for many things and many of the possibly official frameworks are distributed over different personal web sites... unlike GNOME or KDE which have a central access for the system/desktop frameworks. The GNUstep situation isn't too dramatic now because there are few frameworks and the target audience is limited to very involved developers, but the situation will become less than ideal when GNUstep will become more important (more code written) and more exposed.

my 2c.

bye,
Quentin.

--