Re: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integ

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integration
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:17:25 -0800 (PST)

--- Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:
> On 02.03.2004, at 23:49, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> > I think you are wrong here, Helge.
>
> OK, good to hear some other voice on the issue ;-)
>
> > A common development of a WebObjects clone would be beneficial to all
> > sides,
>
> That is what I would assume but which doesn't seem to be a general
> agreement on - at least if you take into account that this for obvious
> reasons implies that on several things only one of the two base
> implementations can be used (given that there is a 95%+ match in terms
> of API).
>
> > but the questions that Manuel raised on the organisational form are
> > all valid and must be solved, no matter who takes part in that
> > project. So I would call them productive suggestions. I would expect,
> > that if you accept them as this, a solution to them wont be too far
> > away.
>
> OK.
>
> Lets analyse what we have: two LGPL frameworks. So do we have major
> organizational issues? No. In the worst case we can maintain two
> variants of the same codebase, license is not an issue at all, both
> frameworks are free software in all respects relevant to FSF (which
> also nullifies any rants regarding company or marketing issues).
>
> We have the issue of copyright assignment. There will be no FSF
> copyright assignment of SOPE code. If this is a must for gnustep-web
> people, we are already stuck. Hopefully its not. And after all
> copyright assignments are *not possible* in Germany, and I guess the
> same is true in France (and the whole EU).

Didn't you know about this?  See link:

http://www.fsf-europe.org/projects/fla/fla.en.html

It's an agreement which would allow you to contribute SOPE to the FSF.  It's
not an assignment since, as you say, it's not possible in the EU.   But it does
allow you to license it to the FSF such that it is effectively the same as an
assignment. :)

I'll state it quite simply here: Unless your WO can be submitted to the FSF and
integrated with the existing GSW framework, then I don't believe that it should
"replace" it as you seem to suggest.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.