Re[2]: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks in

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integration
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:05:47 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:09:56 +0100 Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>
wrote:
 >| Notably Manuel also included the NGAntlr library I initially wrote (we
 >| remember that he claimed in the thread I make no contributions ...)

Yes, I've acknowledged your correction.
As I forgot to do it before: all my sincere apologies for forgetting NGAntlr.
May be I've over-reacted to your first posts. Now, could we finally stop these
personnal attacks ,

 >| The most amazing thing wrt gnustep-web I found is that while the
 >| framework itself is free software, there are apparently *no* free
 >| software applications based on it!

I don't know one.
Except OOg, I don't know free application based on SOPE but haven't searched
one.
And I don't think there's a lot of free applications based on WO.
Most WO applications are entreprise applications and are not free, IMHO.

 >| In contrast - gnustepweb.org is
 >| advertising the proprietary applications and websites as well as the
 >| two companies behind gnustep-web.

There's 3 sections:
        o Companies with 3 links on companies who use GNUstepWeb
        o Web Sites: 2 links on websites which use GNUstepWeb
        o Sponsors: one link on one of my company which paid part of my work on
GNUstepWeb
And no big characters, logos,....
The reason was to show that it's working and used by companies, not more.

 >| In the same run Manuel and David are
 >| suggesting that they don't trust me because I'm working for a company
 >| (which in contrast to their own companies *only works on free
 >| software*).

As I've said in a previous mail "Re[2]: Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]:
Frameworks integration", I trust Richard,Adam and
few others for managing GNUstep project because they do it for a long time.
I've seen some other people working on
GNUstep and as the time pass, they get cvs write acces, do things,... and
finally I trust them.
It's not because one is working or not for a company or another and nothing
personnal on this.

 >| WRT the web application library for "GNUstep Kits" I would strongly
 >| advise to make an *unbiased* examination of SOPE. While its sad that so
 >| much work was already invested in gnustep-web, SOPE is IMHO clearly
 >| superior and provides far more functionality. Now I'm biased and
 >| gstep-web is biased as well, so we need unbiased opinions ;-)
 >| To help with such an evaluation the SOPE team suggested to work on
 >| adding GSWEB compatibility so that existing GSW applications also work
 >| with SOPE. This would lead to much better factual evaluations on code
 >| quality and performance.

I've never said that gsweb is better than SOPE or the contrary. I've pointed
out some imcompatibilities you've talked about to answer to someone and give
him you address so he can get better information on SOPE.
And my 'problem' is currently not on this point but more on organisation,
visibility, organisation,.. as I've already said.

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - ORANGE CONCEPT <mguesdon@orange-concept.com>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0997  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998