Re: kvm problem with FreeBSD

From: stefan
Subject: Re: kvm problem with FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:16:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

>> What is the appropriate standard library call to obtain the process
>> arguments under BSD?  If we know that, and can get the configure
>> script to recognize when this call is available, we can alter
>> NSProcessInfo.m to use this call instead of /proc
>
> I have a feeling we have been here before and I modified NSProcessInfo
> approrpiately to use the kvm stuff to do it. The code only ever worked
> on FreeBSD though, as you needed to be root to use it on other systems
> such as Solaris. I havent tried it under FreeBSD 5.X, only 4.X, so
> maybe something has changed in the 5.X API which makes it stop working.
>
> Does FreeBSD 5.X not have a /proc that could be used for this kind of
> thing though, rrather than dabbling with those kvm calls ?

In 5.X you don't need a proc system any more. At least it's suggested
in the installation instructions not to use it because it's deprectated
or something like this. So i don't have /proc. I'll try to figure out
if there are other ways to get the necessary informations.

On question: libkvm is based on the /proc filesystem, is this right?

greets
Stefan