Re: kvm problem with FreeBSD

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: kvm problem with FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:06:04 +0100

> we could use: kvm_getargv()

Umm, we *are* using kvm_getargv() !

Anyway, I just went and took a look at the code, adn there is a comment
at the top along the lines of:

  /*
   * Use the kvm library to open the kernel and read the environment and
   * arguments. As we are not running as root we cannot open the memory
   * device and thus we fake it using /dev/null. This is allowed under
   * FreeBSD, but may fail on other operating systems which check the
   * file type. The kvm calls used are those which are supposedly backward
   * compatible with Solaris rather than being FreeBSD specific
   */

It might be that FreeBSD 5 is checking the file type of the memory
device and thus failing as it does on Solaris ?

-bat.