Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:05:52 -0700

This is going to lead to duplication in a single system.
Installation1/System will have the same as
Installation2/System. what about the contents of the Local
domain? Its similar to having two linux systems on one machine.

I view GNUstep more as a system. It is THE system. Others i
think view it more as a location independent and mobile
environment. There is a lot of functionality in GNUstep that is
redundant in the second case.

Well we have to account for different points of view and "use cases".

If you think that having multiple GNUstep installations is not a good
idea, just ignore it and don't do it :-)

I disagree. You are trying very hard to force GNUstep to be something it is not and should not be. As I mentioned before, GNUstep is an environment on top of a foundation that does not exist. OpenStep was a system, not an environment. GNUstep is only part of that environment and trying to fit it into the environment of another system is a great way to make it suck. Don't be afraid to have some requirements that must by met by the system before this environment will work correctly. Someone looking for the GNUstep environment should be willing to provide it a functional system, not try to force it into a system that is diametrically opposed to the OpenStep philosophy.

JP

--
"... was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort-of Sun-God robes, on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you? ... Why am I the only one who has that dream?"