Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:43:08 +0200

Hi Dennis,

On Aug 19, 2004, at 12:34, Dennis Leeuw wrote:
We might risk that distro's install GNUstep the Un*x way and not as an environment.

Unfortunately you are ignoring the fact that basically no distro installs GNUstep at all! And those who do (eg Debian), do it in a very weird way because the packages are _forced_ to honour distri policies and will _never_ honour GNUstep ones - whether you like that or not. So in practice you end up with a mixture between GNUstep and Unix which is the worst case.

The current setup is a major hurdle for gstep-make based servers and tools. Eg in OGo we have some useful small tools like xmlrpc_call, saxxml or imapls which no one ever will use if they need to perform some complicated setup just for that. IMHO thats a huge potential lost because unlike GUI, Foundation is 100% usable and such are tools (not apps) and servers.

Note: I'm very much in favor to keep the old layout for GNUstep GUI level things and of course I would love to see a GNUstep based distribution comparable to MacOSX/OpenStep which is able to follow its own conventions. I also consider it important that for MacOSX deployments I can still use gstep-make to deploy to MacOSX standard directories.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/