Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:12:17 -0700

On 19 Aug 2004, at 02:45, Nicola Pero wrote:
Bam! - great news - the system is the same but it's simpler and more
reliable to use.  I don't see how you can't agree this is a huge
improvement.

I absolutely agree that this is a great improvement! But you have not solved how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH without sourcing something...

The system will also provide additional configurability in controlling
paths and stuff -- which you can ignore as you are not interested in it --
why do you care.  Anyway yes people will be able to relocate entire
installations and change paths in a config file, will be able to integrate
stuff with the native filesystem etc etc.

The default will remain what it is now -- GNUstep system/local domains.
But this additional configurability will be supported.  If you want to
convince people not to use it, do that, it's Ok, fight the heresy and
evangelize them all! :-)

But that configurability will be there soon, because a considerable amount
of users need/want it.  That's a fact of life.

They want it because they want some perceived functionality boost. What is this boost? Because I want to be able to do something stupid does not mean that my stupid ideas should be integrated into a (almost entirely) functional, great product.

I see I'm not getting anywhere, all I ask is that you do not clutter something beautiful with an on-looker's fantasies.

JP

--
"... was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort-of Sun-God robes, on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you? ... Why am I the only one who has that dream?"