Re: ANN: GNUstep Gui Version 0.9.4

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Gui Version 0.9.4
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:34:09 -0700

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
This:

On Saturday, September 25, 2004, at 05:04 AM, Adam Fedor wrote:
 >   * NSScroller, NSScrollView has a new ivar.
> is a fancy way of saying that the release isn't binary compatible with
> old versions.

Next time, try making it less fancy and more clear.
As far as I'm concerned, any announcement for a new version of -base or -gui should have a 100% clear statement such as "This version has broken compatibility for reasons X, Y, and Z. You will need to recompile all your applications as a result."

Because there are plenty of people who will overlook it otherwise, much less the folks who don't know what the hell an ivar is. GNUstep has become too programmer-centric and this case only serves to prove my point.

SONAME changes also mus be *prominently* stated *in the announce to the mailing list*. Can we make a policy of this? If this needs to be codified so it can be followed by clockwork each release cycle, and used as a checklist, that would be a good thing indeed and I'd be willing to try and work something up in collaboration with the people who have done releases for some time.

Things just keep getting overlooked when it comes to releases. I've also noticed that the ANN:ouncement e-mails aren't being sent to gnustep-announce, which as far as I am concerned is a big faux-pas because there are no doubt people who have subscribed only to -announce and not to -discuss ebcause they either don't care about what we're talking about or don't want that much daily e-mail traffic.

Does the above seem reasonable to expect, release managers?

Cheers,
Alex