Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:21:59 -0500

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 08:27:03AM -0600, Adam Fedor wrote:
> Savannah says it will have Arch soon. What about that?

I've never used it, but the distributed source-code-management may have
a somewhat steep learning curve for some.

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html

outlines a couple common complaints about Arch specifically.  Not
knowing much more about arch, I will refrain from saying much more about
it.  The nice thing about moving to something decentralized is that the
hosting of the repository gets dramatically easier.  Many of them do not
require more than a FTP or HTTP server for access.

> I'm just not sure how RMS will take moving GNUstep (an official GNU
> project) off the gnu servers, even if it is to a complementary site.

The sourceware.org folks will have subversion software soon I have
learned (for gcc, who is moving to it within a week).  They host the
code for many a GNU project, I will send them an email and see if I can
get any details on that.

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder