Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:43:00 -0700

riccardo_mottola@mac.com wrote:
Hey,

On Tuesday, October 11, 2005, at 04:56 AM, Andrew Ruder wrote:

Hello all,

I am proposing that GNUstep migrate to using subversion (instead of
CVS).  Gna.org (FSF France) has subversion hosting, and I believe Alex
Perez has already registered a GNUstep project there.

I think gnustep is fine where it is now. ALso I like CVS, it is everywhere, works fine... svn is the hype of the moemnt, like people thinking that switching to svn will fix bugs automatically ?!?

The above hyperbole only serves to show that you are being overly-dogmatic about a potential switch. Nobody has claimed that. What people HAVE claimed, however, is that it would be possible to have more contributors in a safe manner than we currently do with CVS, and that is a totally true statement.

And come on, gnustep has so little changes...

Yes, it could have more, but our current system does prevent more people from having access to the repository than is optimal. Also, what you do or do not like isn't really relevant to this discussion. I like the ubiquity of CVS as well, but it has several and inherent limitations which place an artificial cap on how many people you can trust with CVS access. You're completely dismissing Andrew's (very legitimate, and which are also shared by plenty of others) claims that the current system prevents others from contributing as easily as we would like. Also, there is the issue where more than a couple of GNUstep-core developers have expressed their unwillingness at having to review large patches. We can fix all the above issues with Subversion.

Any thoughts?  I would be willing to handle the migration from CVS to
Subversion of GNUstep.  I think subversion could be just what GNUstep
needs to bring all development to one centralized place and would
foster rapid multi-user development, especially for those larger, more
experimental changes to the source.

do we need larger changes in the source at all???

Not quite sure what you're getting at here...please explain further. Are you claiming GNUstep doesn't need improvements?

Alex