Re: The GNUstep code challenge.

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: The GNUstep code challenge.
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:20:06 +0200

Am 16.05.2006 um 03:27 schrieb Vaisburd, Haim:

There are too many windows and dialog boxes to my mind.
I admit that I have only tried simple operations required
for photo editing, like crop, rescale, format change, etc.,
but for those simple operations the flow is not smooth at all.
[...] Ideally I want to get a full control
right from the main window - the main window being the only window.

Where is the fundamental difference wether controls are drawn into a separated panel window or wether they are drawn right into the main window?

IMHO, they are interchangeable. Toolbars, Shelfs, Drawers presenting intermediate technologies. How about panels which can be docked at the inside or outside of the window border, becoming transparent as needed?

There is a promising tour for new iPhoto (I do not have a Mac and can't
tell you how good/bad the iPhoto really is) at
http://www.apple.com/ilife/quicktour/iphoto/ ,
they show semi-transparect controls on top of the image they are
editing.

The paradigm is still the same: have few, intuitive, flexible controls. Seashore appears to follow this goal better than GIMP it's self.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/